Thursday, August 6, 2020

How To Make A Faerie Garden (Fairy Garden)

Crone Crafts by the Mother of Invention


How to create a magical faerie land for your yard

fairy garden
The succulent plants in my back-yard faerie garden (fairy garden) have reproduced and spread so much. After giving away a lot of the plants, I decided to build a NEW faerie garden in my front yard. Here's how I did it.

The first order of business is to determine what shape you want your garden to be. I had an old mini-trampoline that I disassembled for craft parts (later you will see what I make out of the springs and such).
 


Today, I'm starting with the mini-tramp's frame. I plan to use this metal circle to outline the round shape of my faerie garden. 


To keep the lawn from growing up through my faerie garden, I laid down cardboard

I added hollow red cube bricks that I gleaned for FREE off Craigslist. These will support the soil and plants. (They will also discourage my dogs from digging up the plants and frame the garden loam.)

As you can see, I filled the red bricks with loam, added some plants, and installed gravel to create a path to the faerie's home. Gravel can also serve as a  driveway/walkway or other faerie path.


To build a faerie fence (fairy fence) I strung together tongue depressers. I purchased these from the Dollar Tree and strung them together with fencing wire before painting them.  

Also from the Dollar Tree, I purchased tiny pallets that I glued together to make faerie structures (fairy buildings). 

I painted all my faerie houses red and would later add moss for the roofing.


As you can see, I added a treasure chest and some landscape stones.
No Faerie garden is complete without a clothes line. I crocheted small faerie clothes, a faerie garden hat, and faerie boots. The clothes pins were purchased at the Dollar Tree (for $1).

As you can see, the plants have room to grow. In time this Faerie garden will mature and change shape as the plants decide to change the landscape. 


No faerie garden is complete without a giant watch dog who makes the garden fey feel safe. <3




NOTE: Faeries come in all sizes. Some can also shape-shift to take on larger than human form.  In Hollywood the fae are described as tiny magical people and elves or monsters with wings.  "Fae" is the plural of faerie. Many believe that the Fae are mischievous tricksters. Yet I believe Fae are just as diverse as people. Some you may want to invite into your home and some you would never want around lest they steal your trinkets, keys, and generally create mayhem in your home.

The word usage difference in regards to whether you spell fairy or faerie is personal. Some sources claim that "fairy" regards the mythical creature (as depicted by Hollywood). Those who nurture a relationship with woodland and garden fae are more likely to spell it "faerie."

KEY WORDS: Fairy garden, Faerie garden, Fairy land, Faerie land, Fae garden, garden for fairies. Build your own fairy yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the productive reader feedback. Is there something you've read here that inspired you? Tell me about it!