Wednesday, August 12, 2020

When craft projects FLOP!

How to make a peg-board (when your antique-looking mirror project fails)


The mother of invention is at it again!


Cheap ways to decorate your walls




I had great plans for this large shabby-looking wooden frame, with its terribly ugly drawing that someone had hand painted (and then donated to Goodwill). 

I will be removing the above drawing from its ugly burlap backing and will paint over both the burlap and the artwork.





My vision was to use this Krylon "Looking Glass" can of spray paint to "cover the sin" in the existing drawing (with black background). I paid roughly $12 for this spray can and could not WAIT to see what this paint could do.



"Looking Glass" my eye!  I was hoping the dried paint would be somewhat reflective and look like an old antique mirror. My goal was to turn this matte board into some kind of cool emotion.







I sprayed the board lightly OVER and OVER. The $12 paint kept spurting out in blobs and looked really blotchy. I'd have been better off using an ordinary $4 can of grey paint. At least then the finish would have been smooth and solid in color! *BLEH!* (NOTE: I may try this paint on a smooth surface to see if it works better at making a reflection)





  
Krylon Glitter Shimmer spray paint
Every faerie knows that glitter makes every failed art project look better! It's "Glitter Shimmer" (glistening gold) paint to the rescue!

Can you say "magick is afloat?" 

I'll be spraying this over the grey-botched job.




Normally, to make a peg board, you'd insert a back-drop that looks something like this: 


Typical Peg Board



I didn't have any peg board on hand, though, so I'm going to use the grey-covered in gold sparkles (messed up art) in lieu of that peg board. 


Painted burlap backing adds a great texture to this work.


I also brush-painted over the burlap background with extra grey house paint that was sitting around just shouting, "use me, paint with ME-e-e-e-e!." 



Temporary result. I'm not exactly loving this.


The beauty of doing any kind of crafts is you can always switch, paint, and re-do your art. We all need room to make mistakes when craft projects are the game.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the productive reader feedback. Is there something you've read here that inspired you? Tell me about it!