Monday, June 15, 2020

Make A Sun Cross For Midsummer!




Here in the Northern Hemisphere (e.g., Russia, Canada, and the USA) we will be celebrating Midsummer on Saturday, June 20, at 5:44 pmThose who live in the Southern Hemisphere (rapid hand wave to anyone from Africa, Antarctica, and Australia) is now entering their winter season; the poor vast herds.

Midsummer for us Northerners represents the longest day of the year and is the official launch date of our Summer! *May loud cheering and celebration ensue!*


Someone once said that the key to overcoming pain is to first embrace it. Then, let suffering fuel your creativity and passion! 

As a Sun worshipper, my community and I've been enduring day-after-day of *ugh* dark gray skies with wet and dreary rain clouds. That drudgery comes amidst so much societal unrest (riots) and the Coronavirus pandemic. Um, can you say, "DARKNESS?" 

Creating art to celebrate the Sun when LIGHT seems completely out-of-focus is a survival skill that I've employed for weeks now. Each day, crafting has helped me manifest a much BRIGHTER tomorrow. 



How To Celebrate The Sun By Crafting!


Ancient Sun Symbol = Modern Earth Sign

For today's project, I created a Sun Cross wreath (see basic symbol, right. I mean the OTHER right. OK - so it's LEFT!). That's just how crazy the world is right now and we NEED Sun Energy!!!

This symbol is is PERFECT for representing Midsummer because in ancient times it represented the Sun. Yet today, scientists use this very same symbol to represent Earth!

As you craft, call the Sun forward, asking for a blessed reprieve from whatever ails you here on Earth... may the Sun bring light, warmth and healing upon you!







The wreath frame



You may cut a circle-wreath from cardboard if you
do not have access to this Dollar Tree item.


1. Start your project with a circular wreath or ring. 



If you don't have access to a Dollar Tree or craft store, you may cut a circle out of cardboard and hollow out the center for your frame.



I chose three materials to represent the Triple Goddess



2. Glue on natural materials to set the base. 



(I used wood shavings, dried  and dried mosses)






You may or may not wish to add horns


3. I made these horns out of aluminum foil. It's so easy to just wrinkle, mold, and create all kinds of shapes with aluminum foil so have fun just playing with this!

I wrapped my newly formed silver tinfoil horns in masking tape and spray-painted them black. You may wish to skip this step (or not). Honor your own personal feelings!




How to make the cross

I bought a bamboo lantern at the Dollar Tree,
cut it in half, and carved one bamboo twig to form a cross.

4. Gather two sticks to form your cross.


I bought a single bamboo lantern from the Dollar Tree (cheaper than bamboo at a nursery) and used a circular saw to cut the bamboo pole in half. Yet I noticed you could buy two toilet plunger handles for $1 each and they'd fit this wreath frame perfectly! Then, with two twigs, I carved a groove in one so the two sticks would fit together as shown.

Glue the two twigs, sticks, or poles together. Then, once the glue is dry further secure the cross with either a screw or jute string (as I did). 

I secured my cross with glue first, then tied it with Jute

5. Now begin decorating your wreath by adding flowers, buttons, beads, babbles, feathers, nuts, and other findings that you want to incorporate into your art project. Decorate as per your whim!


You might also wish to weave a witch's ladder and dangle it from the wreath. Use your Sun Cross' energy to empower any spellwork you've done before!


I found a broken Sun pin so secured it to my cross' center as the focal point.
You may also hang strings of beads, feathers, or a witches' ladder from your wreath! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the productive reader feedback. Is there something you've read here that inspired you? Tell me about it!