Saturday, June 20, 2020

How To Turn a Printed T-shirt Into One-Of-A-Kind Home Art

How to transform a T-Shirt into Kitchen Art!

From this T-shirt



Into This Kitchen Art


Crone Crafts by the Mother of Invention





I love thrift-store shopping. 


My grandmother Dorothy loved second-hand stores too and she'd say to me "let's go ragging!" So as a young teen, I'd push her wheelchair to the local thrift store and we'd shop for treasures together. I have so many memories of shopping rag stores with her and I still treasure all of the fun expressions she'd make over the odd things we'd found.

There's so much magick that happens inside of thrift stores - magick that's just waiting for your witchy transformation to turn those used goods into works of art! (Protect our planet from the people-virus. Repurpose and reuse!)

Imagine my glee today when I found this wonderful X-tra large T-shirt for $7.99. It was way too big for me and definitely not the v-neck style of shirt that I'd be willing to wear. Yet I loved the logo so much, I thought I might transform it into a picture to hang in my kitchen!


"Wicked Wolf Coffee! Grannies gone but the coffee's on!"


To make this T-shirt become a work of home art, I needed the perfect sized picture frame for it and fortunately, I found one at the same store where I found the shirt!





I paid $12.99 for this rather large used frame. It seems unimpressive at first glance. On the back of the frame, someone had written the names of these children (pictured) and they were designated as someone's grandchildren. Are you noticing the grandma vibe that's going on here in this entire post? 

With three grandchildren of my own now - I'm really celebrating the whole grannie lifestyle! Bring on the crone!


Isn't it lovely how transformative a couple layers of paint can be? In its original state, the natural wood frame wouldn't match my house. So I decided to paint it black. 

I removed the old photo, washed the glass, and isolated the wood for painting. 

You wouldn't even know this was the same wood frame! The painted version looks so much richer in all black!




While the black paint was drying on the frame, I cut the T-shirt out into a rough rectangle to the size of the cardboard backing. 

Then I added a very light amount of glue to the cardboard and
glued the T-shirt's logo onto the cardboard. (NOTE: *Do not use too much glue when you do this or you might stain your shirt's fabric!*)





Once both the glue and the paint were dry - I reassembled the frame with the T-shirt logo and fastened all the nails on back and finished it out with a hanging wire.




Kitchen art from a T-shirt logo

Now I have this awesome T-shirt logo in a large picture frame, hanging in my kitchen.

The total price for this work of art was $21 
and it is one-of-a-kind. I seriously doubt anyone else has anything that looks much like this in THEIR kitchen! (Don't joke about it. I love it.)

That's what really matters. Isn't it? Your home should reflect the things that YOU collected and love. Happy thrift-store shopping! Or should I say, "Let's go ragging!"

1 comment:

Thank you for the productive reader feedback. Is there something you've read here that inspired you? Tell me about it!